The Estero Municipal Improvement District is pleased to provide all Residential (single-family, townhouse, condo and apartments) and Irrigation customers a rebate towards the purchase of a Smart Irrigation Controller.
Smart controllers estimate or measure depletion of available plant soil moisture in order to operate an irrigation system, replenishing water as needed while minimizing excess water use. A properly programmed smart controller requires initial site specific set-up and will make irrigation schedule adjustments, including run times and required cycles, throughout the irrigation season without human intervention.
There are two types of smart irrigation controllers:
- Climate-based irrigation controllers use real-time atmospheric (weather) conditions to determine what the appropriate watering length and schedule should be for your landscaping.
- Sensor-based irrigation controllers use sensors that measure the soil moisture of your plant materials to determine whether or not water is needed. Both types of irrigation controllers can save you water and money by more efficiently applying the right amount of water necessary to maintain your plants.
- You must have a fully operational in-ground irrigation system operated by an automatic sprinkler timer.
- You must have a current water account in good standing with the Estero Municipal Improvement District.
- Property owner must agree to an onsite pre- and post-installation verification at the discretion of the District.
- Smart Controllers must be listed as a qualifying Smart Controller as indicated below.
- Smart Controller must be installed and operational at the installation site for at least two (2) years.
- Climate-based Smart Controllers must have a minimum of 2 years pre-paid signaling fees (for controllers requiring a purchased climatology data plan via either the internet or radio signal).
- Sensor-based Smart Controllers must have the requisite rain / moisture sensor installed.
Residential Customers (Single-Family, Multi-Family with individual responsibility for watering landscaping):100% of the cost of the controller up to $250 maximum rebate.
Irrigation Customers (Multi-Family residential such as homeowners associations or apartments with responsibility for common area landscaping, Commercial customers): 100% of the cost of the controllers up to $50 per station with a maximum rebate of $7,500 for any one customer.
In order to qualify, the Smart Controller must have gone through the Irrigation Association's Smart Water Application Technology (SWAT) testing protocol and meet the following requirements:
- Obtained a mean average for 6 test zones of 100% in Irrigation Adequacy.
- Obtained a mean average for 6 test zones of < 5% in Irrigation Excess.
- Rebates for irrigation controllers utilizing on-site soil moisture sensors will be issued on a case-by-case basis.
Climate-based controllers must be listed on the Irrigation Association's SWAT website at www.irrigation.org/swat/control_climate/
Sensor-based controllers must be listed on the Irrigation Association's SWAT website at www.irrigation.org/swat/control_sensor/
How to Apply
- Confirm eligibility by setting up a pre-installation verification by calling 650-286-8140 or by e-mail at SmartControllerRebate@fostercity.org
- Complete a rebate form that will be provided by the District upon initial verification of eligibility.
- Purchase and install a qualifying product.
- Arrange an on-site post-installation verification by calling 650-286-8140 or by e-mail at SmartControllerRebate@fostercity.org
- Submit the completed application and a copy of the purchase invoice / receipt to the representative during your verification appointment.
- Please allow 4-6 weeks for the rebate check to arrive after your verification appointment.