For more information about the CartSMART program, as well if you encounter a missed pick-up or any other garbage issues, please contact Recology San Mateo.
CartSMART is the name of the program for the weekly Recycle, Compost, and Garbage collection services that began on January 3, 2011 for residents in single-family homes.
As part of the program, all residents receive three wheeled carts:
- Recycle – Blue Cart (64 gallon): For all recyclables mixed together (metal cans, plastic and glass bottles and containers, and cardboard and paper)
- Compost – Green Cart* (96 gallon): For yard trimmings and food scraps
- Garbage – Black Cart (20, 32, 64 or 96 gallons): For anything that you can't recycle or compost
- Cell Phones and Batteries – Recology collects used Household batteries and cell phones curbside (place them all in a sealed plastic bag on top of your blue Recycle cart for collection)
- Motor Oil and Filters – Recology also provides curbside collection of used oil and filters at no cost. Once requested, they provide you with up to five one-gallon plastic jugs for your used motor oil and up to five zippered plastic bags for your used oil filters. Leave the filled jugs and bags beside your blue Recycle cart when you put it out for service and Recology will pick it up for you.
Note: If a 96 gallon cart is too large, feel free to call Recology and they will exchange your large cart for a smaller cart for your food waste.
The following links provide additional information on the CartSMART program: