Halloween is an exciting time of the year and a particularly special treat for children.
However, Halloween can be very stressful, as some people may play mean tricks and provide tainted treats. Parents and children should be alert to various hazards.
The following are some crime prevention tips that can help make Halloween safe and more enjoyable for everyone:
- Instruct your children never to enter the home or car of a stranger.
- Do not allow your children to go out alone. A parent or adult should accompany young children. Older children should walk in groups.
- Instruct your children to stay in their own neighborhood and trick or treat at homes that have porch lights on.
- Don't let children cut across yards or use alleyways as a shortcut
- Children should wear costumes made of light colored material. If the costume is made of dark material, attach reflective tape to them costume to increase nighttime visibility.
- Masks can restrict vision. If your child wears a mask, make sure he or she removes it before crossing the street.
- Replica firearms that could be mistaken for real firearms, should be avoided.
- Children and adults should carry a flashlight so that motorists can see them.
- Children should walk on well lit sidewalks, not on the street.
- Don't allow your children to run. During the excitement of the night they may trip and fall, ruining their night.
- Children should cross the street at the corners. They should never cross the street between parked cars, in the middle of the block, or diagonally across the intersection.
- Don't let your children consume unwrapped or home cooked food items or open beverages that may be offered, unless you know the person who prepared the items. Instruct your children to allow an adult to inspect the gathered treats before they are allowed to eat their Halloween treats
Lastly, you are our eyes and ears. If you see suspicious or unlawful activity, please give us a call. The direct line to report any emergency or suspicious activity is 9-1-1 when calling from a wired phone. If you are calling from a cell phone while in Foster City and wish to report any emergency, please call 650-573-3333.