Dealing with Wild Animals
print friendly textonly
Dealing with Wild Animals

From time to time undomesticated or "wild" animals such as raccoons, skunks, squirrels, rats and opossums wander into residential and commercial areas. The Peninsula Humane Society advises citizens not to attempt to capture or trap wild animals. A qualified animal control company is best qualified to handle traps and animals.  To find a pest control company, look in the yellow pages or do an online search for "wildlife pest control in San Mateo County."

Like people, animals seek food, water and shelter.  The most effective protection from unwanted wild animals in your area is barriers and discouragement. Prevent them from accessing spaces around your home or yard and remove whatever attracts them to your property.

Feed pets indoors if possible or take up the outdoor dishes and leftovers as soon as possible. Keep trash cans in a closed garage or utility room until trash pickup day. Fence your garden. Eliminate places that could become a den for a raccoon. Fill in tree cavities, cap chimneys and seal off attics, but always make sure an animal is not inside first.

Even if your pets are primarily indoors, it is always a good idea to vaccinate your pets as it protects them from interaction with undomesticated animals that may occur if the pet gets out or the wildlife gets in.

The Peninsula Humane Society (PHS) has an excellent on-line guide to "Living with Local Wildlife" which you can access here.

More About Skunks

City Hall - 610 Foster City Blvd.
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 286-3200