City Clerk Frequently Asked Questions
print friendly textonly
City Clerk Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I obtain a Birth or Death Certificate?

Information on how to obtain a birth or death certificate in the County of San Mateo can be found at the County Assessor's web page at .

2. Where can I obtain a Resolution or Ordinance?

Copies of resolutions and ordinances approved by the City Council are available at the City Clerk's office in City Hall or online at

3. Are the Council meetings televised?

Foster City provides live online web streaming of all Council meetings. Past meetings are recorded and also available at

4. What is the procedure to speak before the Council?

Members of the public may speak in front of the City Council either under "Public" or on a specific agenda item. The Ralph M. Brown Act (the State Local Agency Open Meeting Law) prohibits Council from acting on any matter that is not on the agenda. It is the policy of Council to refer such matters to staff for investigation and/or action. Speakers are requested to fill out a "Request to Speak" form located on the table by the door and hand it to the City Clerk. The Mayor may limit speakers to five minutes each.

5. What will be discussed at a Council meeting?

Upcoming Council meeting agendas are available online at

6. What are the duties of the City Clerk?

The duties of the City Clerk include the administration of City elections, providing support to the City Council, preparing and distribution of agendas of Council meetings and agenda items as required by applicable statutes, maintenance and administration of all official records of the City, including records of all Council minutes, ordinances and resolutions, the administration of a City-wide records management program to include retention schedules, inactive records storage, archives, and other components as provided for by ordinance or resolution, and any other duties that may be established by ordinance or a resolution of the Council.

7. May I speak in front of a Closed Session meeting?

By State law, Closed Session meetings are not open to the public. Members of the public may address the City Council at their regular meetings during the Public Comment periods.

8. What are the qualifications to be a City Council candidate?

You must be qualified to vote for and hold the office for which you apply and a resident of Foster City when you file for candidacy.

9. What do I do if I want to run for City Council?

Foster City has an election for vacant seats on the City Council in the General Municipal Election in November on odd-numbered years. You may obtain Nomination papers in the City Clerk's office at City Hall. Please call the City Clerk at (650) 286-3250 for more information or to set up an appointment.

10. How can I reach a member of the City Council?

You can e-mail or call them directly. Click here to access City Council contact numbers.

11. How many Commissions are there for the Foster City?

There are six Citizen Advisory Committees: Traffic Review Committee, Planning Commission, Parks and Recreation Committee, Information Technology Advisory Committee and Youth Advisory Committee.

12. How do I get appointed to a Commission or Committee?

When vacancies occur on a Commission or Committee, the City Clerk advertises the openings. A notice is normally placed in the local newspaper and on the City's website. Updated information on Commission or Committee vacancies is available by contacting the City Clerk at (650) 286-3250.

13. How do I obtain a Marriage License?

Information on how to obtain a Marriage License in the County of San Mateo can be found at the County Assessor's web page at .

14. Where and when are the City Council meetings?

The City Council meets on the first and third Monday of every month at 6:30 p.m. at Council Chambers, 620 Foster City Boulevard. Click here for the current City Council Calendar.

City Hall - 610 Foster City Blvd.
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 286-3200